after reading the previous post, i should've passed this onto elle a few days ago. i read this post on The Happiness Project a few days ago, and i'd been having a really, really crappy day. i LOVE The Happiness Project, it's one of my favorite blogs. i also love self-help books, even though my mom and sister make fun of me for this, but advice from those wiser than myself is always welcome. so if you happen to be having a crappy day and feel like punching someone or escaping to the South Pole just to get away from everyone, read this list first...might make you feel better!
1.Resist the urge to “treat” yourself. Often, the things we choose as “treats” aren’t good for us..
2. Do something nice for someone else. “Do good, feel good”..
3. Distract yourself.
4. Seek inner peace through outer order. Soothe yourself by tackling a messy closet, an untidy desk, or crowded countertops...
5. Tell yourself, “Well, at least I…” Get some things accomplished..
6. Exercise is an extremely effective mood booster – but be careful of exercise that allows you to ruminate..
7. Stay in contact. When you’re having a lousy day, it’s tempting to retreat into isolation. Studies show, though, that contact with other people boosts mood..
8. It’s a cliché, but things really will look brighter in the morning. Go to bed early and start the next day anew..
9. Remind yourself of your other identities. If you feel like a loser at work, send out a blast email to engage with college friends. If you think members of the PTA are mad at you, don’t miss the spinning class where everyone knows and likes you.
10. Keep perspective. Ask yourself: “Will this matter in a month?..
11. Write it down. When something horrible is consuming my mind, I find that if I write up a paragraph or two about the situation, I get immense relief.
12. Be grateful. Remind yourself that a lousy day isn’t a catastrophic day..
13. Use your emergency mood tool-kit..
full post here